Thursday 13 October 2011

mask prints

This is a selection of some of the work I did looking at African masks, focusing mainly on printing techniques:
 These are initial line drawings of African masks looking at the shapes & components that made up the full mask.
 I then stayed within my comfort zone & worked with paint rather than fine line pen which gave a little more depth to the image with the use of shading by toning the paint down with water.
 Using a simple piece of felt I scored the outline of the mask into the surface, then used black ink to create a really rough print. I like the "rough & ready" look to this test piece. (above & below)

 With is mask I used lino & a roller press to create this print.
 From my previous painted masks I scanned & printed smaller copies which I then stuck down in an overlapping circle.
 More lino print with stitched in pieces to combine different media.


 This was a page from my sketch book of some photographs I took of my collection of masks. I liked the mixed up
 I've forgotten the technical term for this, but using the roller press again I did a print from layering up and cutting into the card to create different textures. I love the colour/shades this came out.

 This was a line drawing of different styles of tribal shields but drawn as the petals of flowers.
Using the same foam material as previously, I turned the (below) ink painting of a zebra into a rough print using foam to scratch the pattern into.

I know these all look very unprofessional, but my aim was to play around with different techniques and come out with different outcomes to see what worked & what didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment